This week has been full of cleaning and clearing out to make room for delivery men. Last week my oven died and I spent Tuesday waiting for the delivery guys - who then spent three hours banging on my cabinetry to try to get the new oven to fit into my old wall unit. They managed to make it fit, but not before cracking the cabinet ever so slightly and scratching up the adjacent wall! (time to get out the paint again.)
About this same time I finally admitted defeat over my washing machine and ordered a new washer and dryer set. Our fifteen year old washer was so cracked and out of balance that I have been washing all our clothes on delicate cycle for months in order to keep the spin cycle from spinning our machine right through the wall! The washer and dryer arrived yesterday, delivered by two young men with a very deep-rooted fear of dogs. They refused to unload my new washer and dryer until my dogs were locked inside the house. It then took a lot of convincing (and some cash) to get these young men to actually bring my appliances into the house! But it did give me an opportunity to show off how well-trained my doggies are - I demonstrated how both Sally and Remy sit, down, roll over (Sally's really too old and heavy to roll over but she frightened the delivery guys nonetheless!) and come on command. I did all this wearing an apron (read on...) with nine hens cackling in the background and these Sears (in the big city) delivery guys - who were watching me from the truck platform five feet off the ground - must have thought I was some insane county lady who doesn't get out much. I am fine with that because they quickly lowered the truck platform and brought in my washer and dryer - if only to get the heck out of the country! If only they knew how much fun we have around here...
Now that I have all that off my chest, it's time to share some making. It's January again and January just makes me want to sew aprons.
This is the month that every magazine and newspaper article tells us we need to clean, organize and declutter our homes. But before you begin such an undertaking it is important to have the right tools. And because I believe in making my own tools (especially in lieu of cleaning) I sewed some aprons. This is my no seams exposed apron - from last January - with a couple modifications.
Notice the cute bow in front. I sewed this using four 41 x 8 inch strips described in the tutorial. This version requires one full yard of fabric for the ties, bottom hem and pocket plus a 26 x 18 piece for the apron body.
Three of the strips became the ties and the other strip was used for the bottom hem and pocket.
To sew the pocket: You will have about 15 inches of the fourth strip left over after you cut a 26 inch length for the bottom hem. Take this 15 x 8 inch piece and fold it in half, right sides together, and sew around the perimeter, leaving a small opening for turning. Turn right side out through the opening and press flat. You will have a 7 x 8 inch reversible rectangle. Lay this where you want it on the apron and sew down leaving the top open. There you have it - a pocket.
Now tie on your apron, pour yourself a cup of tea, and sit down with a good book while you ponder which room to tackle first. If you are expecting an appliance delivery I suggest you don some pearls to complete the look! (I had actually just returned from an awards assembly at my kiddos' school but I'm sure the pearls made me look that much more "loony lady".)
Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!